Parma Heights Food Pantry benefits from impressive youth’s Eagle Scout project - cleveland.com

Parma Heights Food Pantry benefits from impressive youth’s Eagle Scout project - cleveland.com

PARMA HEIGHTS, Ohio -- Character and loyalty are two traits that define Boy Scouts Troop 371 member Andrew Marton, who recently completed his Eagle Scout project at the Parma Heights Food Pantry.

Parma Heights Food Pantry Executive Director Ann George said she was completely overwhelmed by the teenager’s work ethic and fortitude.

“When he finished, I stood there and cried,” George said. “You can’t believe the job that this young man did. It took him two months. He kept coming in until he finished it.

“You know, it really bothers me if somebody does something wrong it’s published everywhere, but when someone does something good they don’t get the recognition from it. I want this young man to know how much I appreciate what he did.”

What the Parma Community High School junior completed earlier this month was quadrupling the amount of storage space in a clothing closet at the Parma Heights Food Pantry.

Through donations he raised the nearly $300 in materials to add shelving space and numerous clothing racks.

The reason why Marton selected the Parma Heights Food Pantry project speaks to his character.

“When I was in eighth grade I needed somewhere to go for my confirmation project for service hours,” said Parma Heights resident Marton, 16, who joined cub scouts in 2011 and the boy scouts in 2014. “My dad and I found the Parma Heights Food Pantry.

“We realized they were short on volunteers. They help more than 300 families a month, so I volunteered. When it came to my eagle project, I felt like I had to give back to the organizers of the food pantry, because they so graciously offered me the opportunity to volunteer.”

While Boy Scouts Troop 371 is part of the Holy Family Parish, Marton is a member of St. Charles Borromeo Church in Parma.

Marton’s dad, Nick, said the Eagle Scout project epitomizes his son’s work ethic across all aspects of his life.

“I’m just very proud of him because he pretty much planned out an entire project on his own,” Nick said. “He did a heck of a job with six other scouts helping him. He’s got an excellent work ethic and he won’t quit until he gets whatever it is done -- school work, scouting. He’s a got a 4.35 GPA in high school.”

Boy Scouts Troop 371 Scoutmaster Andrew Furio described Marton, who holds the leadership position of senior patrol leader where he helps run meetings, campouts and other scouting events, as embodying scout spirit.

“Andrew is a hardworking individual who always puts others’ needs before his own,” Furio said. “Building shelving for the food bank was his way of helping others currently and for years to come.”

Having nearly earned Eagle Scout rank, Marton hopes his project inspires others in the community.

“When people look at this I want them to see how important the food pantry is in this area,” Marton said. “Hopefully, this will encourage people to volunteer more.”

Read more news from the Parma Sun Post here.